Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

On this special day I wanted to share with you the story of my daddy, Dovard Tolbert Melton (also known as D.T.). I was a daddy's girl from the very beginning! Alot of people said I had my dad wrapped around my little finger, but it was really the opposite. In my eyes my dad could do no wrong! My daddy was 6'4'' of kindness and gentleness. I am who I am today because of my daddy's prayers and his witness to me about our Heavenly Father! My daddy loved to drink coffee and work in his garden. He had a green thumb and could make anything grow. He had the bluest eyes I've ever seen. He was a dedicated father and husband. He truly loved my mother! He was a hard worker and always provided for his family. He was a proud World War II veteran and a retired Correctional Officer for the State Prison System. He passed away in 1994 from a heart attack doing what he loved... working in his garden. It is hard for me to believe, but if he were alive, he would turn 83 July 21. I know my earthly father is with my Heavenly Father and that gives me tremendous peace. However, I still wish he were here to see how much my faith has grown over the years and to see me married to the love of my life. I wish he were here to play with Sam and teach him all the things he taught me. But in a way he is here with me. You see, my daddy left me a legacy.... an inheritance that is better than any amount of money. It is a legacy of prayer, faith, forgiveness, honesty, loyalty, love, patience, and kindness. A legacy that I will proudly pass on to Sam.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Nick and Susan,
Congratulations on your little boy,
Sam, what a cute name for him!

May God Bless you with many wonderful years as a family.

Susan, you don't know me but I work with Nick in Public Health.

Shirley

Anonymous said...

I love this post!!! It is so true about PawPaw!!! I think about him and Nana all of the time and I will never forget all of the memories I have with them!!! They were both truly amazing people with hearts of gold! I know they are so proud of ya'll!! They were great parents and in-laws to ya'll, but to Shannon and I they were the best grandparents we could ever ask for!! They are greatly missed!!! Love you!!
~Summer